Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Green White House Fountains

It's a puzzlement and not #4 Universal Day "reality check, be practical" St Patrick's Day. Green White House water fountains remind me of the the green mashed potatoes I made for my kid's dinner many March 17's ago.

Unrealistic green mashed potatoes sent my children to a very real bathroom after they left the table to barf. Well, green water fountains spewing on the White House frontage...ti's barf-able to me. Tell me the Obama's are serving real corned beef and cabbage with potatoes boiled in the cabbage water. Tell me they're foregoing wine goblets for a real "pint." Don't tell me there's nothing that can be done about the AIG execs bonus laden contracts. Contracts are made by lawyers and they are made to be broken...by lawyers. Don't expect me to think it cost nothing to change the White House fountain's water color for one day! Everything costs. Don't tell me to accept that White House fountain water is green...I had enough non-reality last March 17.

Sure, we've got a real family dining White House style tonight...I don't think that corn beef and cabbage St. Paddy's realism will see Michelle's health-conscious, fresh veggies kitchen. Maybe...unlikely - however, there is fat-free corned beef...that's a non-Irish reality...my Irish reality...

..an Irish pub complete with sad guitarist, singing sad songs - back to back at the bar with sad eyed, joking folks guzzling true Irish, Black and Tans. Green Beer is for the great unwashed that play at "Irish" - have never been to an Irish pub - cannot sing sad songs - navigate through sorrow twinkle-eyed and joke endlessly - even only for a day.

Reality on the #4 Universal Day makes it impossible to ignore the Washington DC rising numbers of AIDS, sexual and drug related problems. Reality brings me to dislike the non-reality of green fountain waters dancing aimlessly - pretending to be Irish - in DC. My heart goes out to the Irish-Catholic majority on this celebratory holiday when the unrealistic Pope speaks out causing ambivalence...rejecting condom use - declaring Catholicism is based in the impossibility of Sarah-Palin-pregnant-teenage-abstinence. The Pope is speaking in over-populated, poorly educated, economically impoverished Africa. It's unrealistic-enough here in the USA...Give me a break!

In reality, I respect that the Pope is upholding his beliefs - love the Irish...married one once...will find a dark, music filled, low-noise-level-Irish Pub with a bartender that makes good Black and Tans. I'll joke about green White House fountains and look sad, thinking there needs to be more realism in DC this St. Patrick's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment