Total Pageviews

Monday, March 16, 2009

CAN'T BE 'UP' - RON SILVER WENT 'DOWN'

It's an "optimistic" #3 Universal Day and although the Market's up, Sarah Palin was forced to appoint a pro-choice judge to the Alaska Supreme Court, Madoff's wife, brother and kids are under deep investigation and that's good. In my world, things are bad, I'm deeply saddened. We lost 62 year old, intense, cultured, talented, Ron Silver to cancer. Why do the phony, mean-spirited, dishonest Madoff's live long and we lose the in-your-face-honest, socially caring, gentle-giants who fight hard for their beliefs too soon?

Although I didn't agree with Ron Silver's political choices after 9/11, they were his stands and fights for Republican-Bush beliefs to his end. It's bad that we lost a man who said what he meant and meant what he said no matter the cost. That he worked repeatedly with college professor, dialogue-master, Pulitzer Prize winning, playwright, David Mamet is no mystery. I do know Mamet...conversationally, in intensity, depth, strong opinions and brilliance - they are very much alike.

I met Ron Silver a few times .. one at the low key, small Park Avenue apartment wedding of a long-time friend of ours. In an arm chair, before a conventional fire place hearth, he quietly held court. People passed and chatted and his eyes probed - remained intense - piercing through the cocktail party veil even when making small talk . We were introduced again - I'd met him before - a glimmer of recognition passed between us - but, no - he didn't remember where or how he know me - so, we made miniature talk. What we said - a bit about the bride's choice of flowers - how very tall the groom.was - the staircase made a great entrance - I don't remember him being too good at that. However, neither was I. Now, he is remembered by me for his professorial delivery of chit-chat and those amazing eyes.

I'm optimistic that the Market's up however, today I feel so "down." No petty chatter now...I'd say to him... Ron Silver - it's good to learn that you went peacefully, with your family near. For me, it's so good that your performances live on film. You are a fine actor. Close associates say your are a fine friend. Although I spoke with you briefly and admired your work from afar, I mourn your passing...the void in your family, your craft, your art, your voice that fought to be heard - and I mourn a man of culture and integrity...a great loss to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment